Interview and Document Assembly Release Notes
(HotDocs Core Assembly Service Release Notes)
Copyright © AbacusNext. All rights reserved.
In this topic ShowHide
About Release Notes
Because we update the various parts of HotDocs Advance independently,
we provide the following:
Interview and Document Assembly Release Notes (HotDocs Core Assembly Service)
The HotDocs Core Assembly Service is a background process that runs
when you launch an interview on HotDocs Advance. The service itself is
responsible for delivering the interview and for creating assembled documents.
Because we sometimes make updates to it independently, and it's installed
separately for HotDocs Advance On-Premise configurations, we provide you
with separate release notes found here.
Features and Enhancements
The following HotDocs Core Assembly Service incremental releases contain
new features and enhancements:
- A new type of variable, the
Image variable, is available. You can now add placeholder fields
to templates for users to upload their own images during the interview.
- Multi-line answer text boxes now have a maximum height of 50 lines.
- A new dialog element, the
interview event dialog element, is available for integrators to
create a custom event in interviews.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 is now required.
- For users of Microsoft SQL Server
2012 or Microsoft
SQL Server 2014: if you upgrade to Core v1.1.82 or later, you
should ensure that existing interviews in Advance are completed before
upgrading. Some in-progress session data in SQL Server 2012 cannot be migrated following an
upgrade. Completed sessions are unaffected.
- No publicly exposed features added.
- You can now overlay answers for Multi-select variables on repeat
- Very large template sets now upload correctly.
- Spelling errors in text entered during a HotDocs interview
are now marked in Word when the template is assembled.
- When using interviews with dialogs, actions are now available
from the interview outline. Clicking the ellipsis on an item brings
up a menu of available actions.
1.1.80 (10 June
- HotDocs Author now supports LocalDB 2019.
style web links are no longer supported.
- The HotDocs API now supports downloading answer sets in JSON format.
The method is GET JSONAnswers, available on the AuthorAnswerSet and
the AnswerSetBuilder classses. XML format is the default unless specified.
- You can now filter an answer set to retrieve only the required
answers. This is done by providing an optional function to Deserialize.
Some built in functions to assist with some common scenarios are available
- To support JSON format answer sets, the Answer SDK 2.0.4 requires
the following modifications to be made:
- Changes to names:
- ColumnTypeEnum is now called ColumnType.
- ProductTypeEnum is now ProductType.
- VariableTypeEnum is now called AnswerType.
- Changes to values:
- textVarType is now called Text.
- numberVarType is now called Number.
- Changes to Multi-Select and Single-Select Variables:
- You can now identify the correct underlying type for Multi-Select
and Single-Select variables.
- A multi select will be TextList, NumberList, DateList etc.
- A single select will be Text, Number, Date etc.
- Select options for Multiple Choice answers are now included
when using the latest version of HotDocs Author.
- You can now use the command line to specify where the default
workspace is created.
- When upgrading Author, a default workspace is now created.
- Meta data for assembled documents now indicates whether the
template has been assembled completely with all referenced variables
- Interviews for work items with apostrophes in their names now correctly
load in Microsoft Edge (#SOL-3648)
- Header spacing in interview dialogs now formats correctly in Firefox
- Wording for 'billions' is now correct for Spanish language number
- Placeholder fields for multi-select variables now render hard returns
in assembled documents (#SOL-4367)
- When installing Core Assembly Service, you can now configure it
to use Azure SQL as its database server (#SOL-4520)
- The REPLACE function now correctly replaces
carriage return characters (#SOL-4712)
- Spreadsheet dialogs now display the correct
number of rows when the Rows to Display
setting is set (#SOL-4639)
- Multi-select variables now use hard returns
when their values are displayed in an assembled document (#SOL-4367)
- When you assemble a document, the Core Assembly Service no longer
inserts unnecessary paragraph marker characters for text fields set
to both multi-line and multi-paragraph (#SOL-3873)
- Prompt text is no longer truncated on single-line fields set to
full width (#SOL-4338)
- No publicly exposed features added
- Added support for TLS 1.2
- An improved error message now appears when a non-existent document
preview or answer summary is requested
- When a session is "InProgress", and an interview is currently
being displayed, the session's idle time is now included in the session
state returned to a SessionState query
- Decreased interview loading speeds
- Provided LegacyHostService.exe for assembling classic HotDocs templates
with logging; the log file is located in a "Logs" subfolder
in the folder where you install the LegacyHostService.exe
- The Core Assembly Service now appropriately appends a trailing
slash ('/') to an upload URL from a .hdrepoconfig file
- Improved template caching to speed interview load times
- Extended the Developer upload plugin to support uploading templates
to HotDocs Advance
- The HotDocs Author installer has now been added to the HotDocs
Core Assembly Service installer so that whenever you get the latest
version of Core, you can also update Author as well
- The assembly service now uses the LegacyHost.exe instead of HotDocs
Server for on-premises assembly of classic HotDocs templates
- Assembly service now allows creating sessions in and fetching packages
API to run an interview without regard to whether the template is
a HotDocs 11 or HotDocs Author template
- No publicly exposed features added
- Supporting HD11-specific assembly session options in Assembly Service
- Document Preview now works for HotDocs 11 templates
- You can now assemble multiple documents from one interview (and
move from one interview to another) as specified by the ASSEMBLE instructions
in HD 11 templates
- HD11 sessions in the Cloud Assembly Service now support HPT+HFT
- Assembly queues work for HD11 interviews in Assembly Service
- HD 11 interviews in Assembly service can now load initial answers
- You can now save answers from HD 11 interviews in the Assembly
- When creating a HotDocs Core install on a server with no internet
access, the HotDocs license manager now asks for a manual license
authorization and displays the proper type of license, as expected
- HD 11 interviews now initialize and appear in AssemblyService sessions
- Improved database setup dialog in the core installer
- Researched Core assembly sessions allowing HD 11 compatible interviews
- New macro signatures were added to this release
- Support for assembling HotDocs 11 templates (but not for displaying
interviews) added in this release
- Core Installer now has a license agreement
- There is now an About page for the Core Assembly Service
- Support for displaying a HotDocs interview in your host application
using the AttachSession and DetachSession API's added to Core Assembly
Alert – To properly install this update, you first need to uninstall
the previous version of HotDocs Core Assembly Service
- The HotDocs Core Assembly Service has been prepared for limited